- Log in (or create a new account) at infogr.am
- Click on Create new.
- Choose Charts.
- Choose type of chart.
- Double click on the chart to add your data and customize your chart.
- Customize the title and other text, and add other elements if you wish.
- Click on the preview icon to see what your chart will look like.
- Click on Publish. Enter a title and and choose Publish for everyone.
To embed in Medley or a blog:
- Copy the fixed embed code. (Medley and WordPress don’t play well with the responsive code.)
- Paste the embed code where you’d like it to appear in a Medley story or blog post.
For now, stories on mysite must be marked free in order for the embed to work.
On WordPress VIP blogs, click on the Add embed button and paste the code into the Insert embed tab.
Words from a week’s worth of headlines from the four daily top 30 headline lists on wired palmbeachpost.com, mobile palmbeachpost.com, mypalmbeachpost.com and the breaking news app.
Tableau likes to format all its numbers the same way, like this:
But AP wants us to do it like this:
You can use two simple calculated fields to make Tableau show tooltip numbers in AP style:
- Convert millions to decimals with this calculated field:
- Add the word million to the amount for the tooltip with another calculated field:
- Use both calculated fields (and add the $) in the tooltip:
$<ATTR(Millions thousands calc)> <ATTR(Million for tooltip)>
Two ways to get shapefiles onto Tableau maps: ET GeoWizards for ArcGIS and Richard Leeke’s shapetotab.
TimelineJS makes it easy to create interactive timelines based on a Google spreadsheet.
Follow the instructions here (click on the big green MAKE A TIMELINE NOW button).
A few tips:
- Rename the Google spreadsheet template to something like “Everglades timeline” so you don’t end up with multiple spreadsheets named Copy of TimelineJS Template.
- Click on More Options in Step 3 so you can change the font and adjust the zoom level (if necessary). The Georgia and Helvetica Neue font looks best on mypalmbeachpost.com.
- You can embed links in the headline, text, media credit and caption columns using html like so:
Which will show up like this:
Charles R Noegel collection, State Archives of Florida,
Public.Resource.Org is a non-profit corporation whose motto is “Making Government Information More Accessible”.
From the organization’s articles of incorporation:
The specific purpose of this corporation is to create, architect, design, implement, operate and maintain public works projects on the Internet for Educational, Charitable, and Scientific Purposes to the benefit of the general public and the public interest; to increase and diffuse knowledge about the Internet in its broadest sense; to promote and facilitate the expansion, development, and growth of the public infrastructure of the Internet by any means consistent with the public interest through other activities, including, but not limited to, publications, meetings, conferences, training, educational seminars, and the issuance of grants and other financial support to educational institutions, foundations and other organizations exclusively for Educational, Charitable, and Scientific Purposes.